Sunday, July 1, 2007

YOU OKAY?

I frequently hear my nurses (here at UMMC’s Oncology Unit) say “UOK” when they are calling people at other deparments, for example, to trace scan report from Radiology or to get blood investigation result from the lab. And every time, I would be wondering to myself what they mean. Are they being polite & asking how their counterparts at the other departments are doing or UOK actually has some other meaning?

It took me 3 weeks & a half to figure out that UOK stands for “Unit Onkologi Klinikal” – my own department! How shameful, I must admit. By fellow blogger Fibrate’s (It’s a doc’s life – geddit?) definition, I would be considered a “complete lulu”. In fact, I did feel “lulu-fied” when I realised how silly I was. I guess this is probably an example of the Malay saying, “malu bertanya sesat jalan” (though I didn’t actually “sesat jalan” lah) or perhaps, as a “neonate” at UMMC, I have yet to learn all the “jargons” to “gain full entry into the club”.

* Fibrate, sorry for the little violation of your copyright. I’m going to link you soon.

3 comments:

fibrate said...

When I came back to Peninsula Malaysia, many words were alien to me. For example, BHT, FSL, RP, DIL, reflo etc. What to do, I'm a doctor born and bred in Sarawak, figuratively speaking.

By the way, do you have difficulty accessing my new blog?

kaybee_dino said...

I know DIL, but what are the others ah? Have accessed your blog, finally.

fibrate said...

BHT = old notes
FSL = FLP
RP = BUSE/Creat
Reflo = hypocount!