Monday, June 30, 2008

ONCALL TERUK – THE SEQUEL

Recently I learnt of a term which has got nothing to do with the famous New Zealand’s All Blacks, Jonah Lomu. Apparently, “Jonah” means someone who is “hot” during oncall time, ie. has the affinity to attract patients like bees to honey & ants to sugar.

My housemate, L, who is also my colleague, is one of the most “Jonah” person I know. Our passive call at HUKM Oncology Department stretches over a week, ie. from Monday to Sunday. L had to return to hospital after hours on the first day itself. This went on a few times throughout the week with the grand finale on Saturday & Sunday, where L had to sleep in (at the ward).

My most dreaded fear came true. Being L’s housemate & the next person to oncall after her, I was afraid of getting some of her “Jonah”-ness. True enough, she did pass on some to me. My call was rather “hot” too, with multiple admissions from the Emergency & multiple mortalities….& I had to sleep in at the ward as well, sigh…

Anyway, my week is up, thank goodness for that. Now I just hope (& pray) that my next call will not be so “Jonah”.

Maybe I should go play some rugby…

No comments: