Sunday, September 21, 2008

8TH WONDER OF THE WORLD

Being a doctor in the government sector has never been a bed of roses or a stroll in the park, but rather a bed of “duris” & a fall (with abrasions & laceration wounds) in the drain. The “sabun” episode may seem trivial, but it sure does add salt to wound. Sometimes I wonder how I managed to survive this 8 years. That’s why there is a need for laughter otherwise kepala will pecah. Funny questions/ comments from patients (usually old aunties & uncles) sometimes just brightens up the day.



Patient 1
Patient: Doctor, are you from here (refering to Malaysia)?

Doctor: Nope, I’m not from here (refering to KL)

Patient: Ohh…I thought so…are you Filipino?

Doctor: (Gasp) Do I look or sound like a Filipino?

Patient: Filipinos speak good English

Doctor: (……and Malaysians don’t?)



Patient 2
Doctor: Good morning, Aunty (in Mandarin)

Patient: Oh, good…you’re the first Chinese doctor I meet at this hospital. I can’t really understand Malay & I have many doubts about my illness

Doctor: (Explaining in great detail about breast cancer in Mandarin)

Patient: Wah…doctor, how did you learn all those medical terms in Mandarin?

Doctor: Oh, I learn from patients…and nurses

Patient: I thought you're from China

Doctor: (This is the first time someone has said that. My Mandarin must have improved tremendously over the years…an OCBC no more)



Patient 3
Patient: (who came with husband) Doctor, you look very young. How old are you if you don’t mind me asking?

Doctor: Why don’t you take a guess?

Husband: Must be 20 plus

Patient: Where got 20 plus, aiyah you ah. Doctor in specialty can’t be 20 plus only lah. Must be 30 plus already lah…

Doctor: (Wife smarter than husband)



Patient 4
Patient: Doctor, are you mixed?

Doctor: No, I’m pure Chinese

Patient: Really? But you look like mixed…like those actress in the TV

Doctor: (head reached the ceiling already)



* OCBC stands for “Orang Cina Bukan Cina”

2 comments:

t1t2ting said...

Those conversations are downright funny. You know what... you can try and submit to Readers' Digest "All in a Day's Work" section, and earn some extra $$$. If your submissions were accepted, then you have to belanja me lorr *wink wink* I think I've only ever heard you spoke Hakka... mandarin macam indak pernah oh. I was thinking... about the lack of soap incident. To get a bit of revenge larr kan, underneath your white coat, you wear one of those vest like the photographers wear (hey you can probably borrow one from your mom), fill every pocket full of soaps, and then when someone ask for soap, you tell them similarly like the nurse told you, then kan, you flash them your vest-full of soaps... and say something like "nah... not even one micro-bar for you", and laugh nyah ha ha ho ho ho :-) Hahaha... I was only joking bah tu. The best medicine of all, ketawa terbahak-bahak. Wishing that your life is filled with loads of laughter despite all the duri2 (hmmm... if those were the durian's duri2, not as bad also coz' the durian's duri, though painful, the durian at least can makan, then the kulit you can also use as ammunition for those gerigitan moments) :-)

kaybee_dino said...

i refuse to bring my own soap. after that episode, somebody bought some cheap soap (no frill) from tesco.

by the way who is this? :p