Monday, August 11, 2008

PAST MEDICAL HISTORY

My recent “role reversal” reminded me of the times that I had been a patient, since my Day 1 of life:

I was born a tiny baby, with periorbital oedema (swollen eyes). Doctors thought I had congenital liver disease. So, as a neonate, I was already subjected to blood tests & investigations. So kesian hor. Results were all negative of course, as the periorbital oedema turns out to be a ‘trademark’ that stayed till this very day. It becomes obvious when I don’t have a good night sleep (best example: post-call)

I come from an atopic family. I had my first asthma attack at the age of 3. My respiratory tract is tremendously super-sensitive. I have had infections from the top to the bottom (ie. from upper respiratory tract infections to bronchitis to pneumonia). My greatest enemies are dust & pollens. I was a regular patient at the local hospital, that the nurses there actually gave me an “accolade” (ie. the girl who takes Piriton like taking rice). Piriton (or Chlorpheniramine) is an anti-histamine which can be used for runny nose, allergic rhinitis or any allergic reaction. When I was studying in New Zealand, I dreaded spring the most, as pollens would be flying everywhere. My record was sneezing non-stop 30 times. (Of course I didn’t count lah, a very empathetic friend of mine did.)

My second greatest enemies are dogs. I was bitten by my neighbour’s dog when I was in Primary 4. Received 4 stitches. The scars are now still visible on my right shin. I remember wailing on top of my lungs when the MA (medical assistant) at the Queen E Hospital did the T&S (toilet & suturing). While my classmates treated me like a ‘princess’ (they carried my bag, bought food for me & I didn’t have to do any duty during recess), my PE (physical education) teacher wasn’t so kind. I had a “D” on my report card, with the comment “cannot run, cannot do long jump”.

It is never fun doing PR (per rectal) examination on patients, but at least I can tell them exactly how they are going to feel during the procedure. I fell (from height) & landed on my bum at the Outward Bound School, when I was 14. Suffered an anal tear (ouch!) & presented to the paediatrician with fresh PR bleed (eek!). The rest is history.

2 comments:

Gasman said...

WOW! that's some record!

Giant Eagle said...

Wah lah, if we always write other patient's PMHx, how come so difficult to write our own