Sunday, August 26, 2007

DUMEX & SUSTAGEN

In medical school, we learnt that “small talks” can be used to build rapport with patients before the actual consultation. In real life, “small talks” can be quite effective if used appropriately. I have been rather successful with my “small talks” all this while, until recently …when I noticed that some of them have turned out to be a little peculiar.


Conversation 1
It was a Friday morning & one of those days that I decided to dress differently just for the fun of it (I wore a baju kurung). A Chinese aunty came to the clinic for follow-up.

Me: Good morning, aunty. How have you been? (I spoke in Mandarin)

Patient: (Shocked) Wah, you can speak Chinese ah?

Me: Of course I can speak Chinese. I’m a Chinese.
(Didn’t dare to disclose the fact that I only picked up Mandarin over the last couple of years)

Patient: (Shocked again) You’re chinese?

Me: Yes, I’m Chinese.

Patient: (Looking very skeptical) If you’re Chinese, why are you wearing baju kurung?

Me: (Pengsan)


Conversation 2
I saw another Chinese aunty who came for follow-up not too long after the first incident. Chinese aunties are prone to forgetting English names, so I thought I’d better introduce myself by my Chinese surname.

Me: Good morning, aunty. I’m Dr. C. How are you today?

Patient: (Looking skeptical) Dr. C?

Me: (Caught her looking at my name tag) Mm-hmm

Patient: But your name tag says Dr. F leh?

Me: (Pengsan second time)


Conversation 3
A Chinese uncle visited our clinic for the first time after undergoing an operation to remove his colonic tumour. He was referred by the surgeons for further treatment to prevent the tumour from growing back.

Me: Good morning, uncle. I’m Dr. F (Learnt my lesson already)

Patient: (Smiling) Good morning

Me: (Looking at patient’s details on the registration form & pointing to the age) It says here, uncle, that you’re 74 years old. Well, you certaining don’t look 74.

Patient: (Smiling even more) Hehe…I do a lot of exercise. Maybe that’s why I look young. How old do you think I look?

Me: Mmm…about 60 plus? Definitely not more than 65.

Patient: (Laughing now) Wow, you’re so generous.

Me: (Got up from my seat to reach for something. Can’t remember what, probably the stethoscope)

Patient: Wah, doctor, you’re quite small-sized oh. How come ah? You didn’t drink enough milk when you were young?

Me: (Really pengsan)

4 comments:

fibrate said...

Ha ha! Your patients are so "kaypoh"!

Just plain Sharon said...

kaybee_dino: probably you are very fair bah...

kaybee_dino said...

i have been mistaken as kadazan, iban, bidayuh & now malay.

Giant Eagle said...

I have also been mistaken for Winnie sometimes