Monday, November 17, 2008

PROTECTIVE GEAR

Last month, I saw an old Chinese aunty (who was previously treated for breast cancer) in clinic, who came for her follow-up visit. She was clad in a very nice looking ‘samfu’ (Chinese traditional wear). Clinical breast examination is mandatory, so I instructed the patient to undress. I noticed that she was having great difficulty in doing so & decided to help. Only then I realised that at every level of the buttons, there were actually 2 types (besides the typical “hook & eye”, there was also the “push button” type). I was so curious that I just had to ask:

Me: Aunty, why do you wear this kind of baju when you know that you’re coming to see doctor?

Aunty: I purposely one…

Me: Huh? Why?

Aunty (sheepishly): Hehe…I thought if doctor see I got difficulty, doctor will say, aiyah nevermind lah, no need to examine lah...

Me: (pengsan)

No comments: