Saturday, April 28, 2007

LABOUR ROOM DRAMA



  • When I was a House Officer at the Labour Room, my colleague AKH was using the toilet for a long time one morning. Concerned that he might be unwell or having a stomach upset, I asked him what happened. His reply? “I had a rectal delivery.”

  • I was excited to hear about a twin delivery at the Labour Room. “The second twin has just come out,” one of the midwifery nurses announced. As I entered the delievery suite (hoping to see 2 newborn babies), I was horrified to find out that the second twin was not a baby but something else altogether. When a woman is in labour, she uses pelvic muscles to push the baby out. Coincidentally (or ironically), these muscles are the same as those used for passing motion, especially constipated stool. I think you can guess what the second twin was.

  • The term grandmultip is used for women who have given birth 6 or more times. During my time at the Labour Room, I came across a lady who was about to deliver her 17th child. She was not merely a simple grandmultip but a super-duper-grandmultip. Our O&G (Obstetric & Gynaecology) Registrar was concerned about the patient’s health & offered her a tubal ligation after the delivery. We were all so surprised when she actually refused the procudure, saying that her husband would not be happy with the idea. Instead of persuading her further, our Registrar (who was a little annoyed) said to us, “I think we should castrate the husband.”

No comments: