Tuesday, May 1, 2007

WHERE'S YOUR WHITE COAT

The news that came out today (1 May 2007) on the front page of The Star (Malaysian Medical Association to Ministry of Health: No Neckties, please) reminds me of the many spot checks done by our Pengarah Hospital, to “catch” doctors who are “not properly dressed”. In a warm & humid country like ours, wearing white coats & neckties (especially in non-air conditioned Government hospitals) can be a nuisance. Furthermore, it is unlikely that doctors have the luxury of washing these items on a daily basis. Thus, they serve as habitats for bugs & germs, which may subsequently be transmitted to patients or family members at home. However, the Ministry of Health maintains its policy for all doctors to wear white coats & neckties, stating that there is no body of evidence to prove they actually cause infection to spread. “It is a long established policy that we have since Merdeka. Doctors must maintain their dignity & dress properly,” the DG (Director General) had said. I’ve been listed in the Pengarah Hospital’s little notebook (the 555 type) for not using a white coat during one of his spot checks at the Medical Ward. I think the notebook should be full by now, considering the number of doctors in the hospital who do not wear white coats. Here are some of the reasons given by doctors whose names are in the little notebook. (Well, except for one. You’ll find out why.)
  • “My white coat is in the laundry. Haven’t got time to collect it yet.”

  • “I have to perform bone marrow aspiration & prepare chemotherapy. How do you expect me to wear a white coat?”

  • “I’m going to go to the OT (operating theatre) now.”

  • “The DG is not here.”

  • “I’m not a doctor. I’m just visiting my relative who is admitted to the ward.”

  • “My white coat & necktie are still hanging on my ceiling fan at home. I tried to commit suicide last night because I’m so stressed out at work.” (said in a very sarcastic tone after the Pengarah had left)

No comments: